Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Grocery

I haven't gotten out much yet, because I don't have a car. But I have been to the grocery store several times. I haven't taken any pictures because I wasn't sure that would be appropriate. But there are several things that I've noticed.

I think there's tax on everything. However, I can't tell. Because all prices include tax. I recall hearing that the tax is 12.5% maybe? But you wouldn't know because it's not itemized out. This is convenient though because you can actually calculate what your final bill will be at the counter.

There are no pennies. Ten cents is the smallest coin denomination. So if you're paying with cash, they round up or down to the nearest ten cents. If you're paying with "EFTPOS" (credit card or check card) they don't round the prices.

They have one- and two-dollar coins here. So you can actually have a lot of money and not know it. I keep a change purse, and I probably have fifteen dollars in there.

They sell wine and beer in the grocery store. Of course. Like every other place but Minnesota.

"Yoghurt" comes in square paper milk cartons. You can also buy just-add-water powdered yogurt.

Almost all of the milk at the store is whole milk. There's a small section devoted to low-fat milks. You can buy refrigerated milk packaged in opaque plastic bags.

Butter comes in 500 g bricks, not sticks.

They don't refrigerate eggs. At all. They're just on the shelf next to the flour. I know from a food safety standpoint that you don't need to refrigerate eggs, but it just feels wrong to me!

Half of the cereal aisle is devoted to granola and mueslix. Apparently Kiwis love their mueslix.

Nestle makes Cheerios here.

About 50% of the candy sold here is made by Cadbury. The rest is Nestle.

Nutrition content, or "energy" is measured in kilojoules, not calories. So I have no idea how much I'm eating. I can't be bothered to divide the kj content by 4 to get the approximate calorie content.

They sell pancakes by the stack in plastic bags next to the English muffins. Which are called "split muffins."

Also I made a hat.

From 2009 I Made This

No comments: