Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Books I bought tonight

Rosanne Knorr, author of The Grown-Up's Guide to Running Away from Home, suggests that one must have a plan for what to do after you've run away. I have several short-term and long-term goals in mind. First and foremost, I have some knitting to do. I'm about halfway through my first-ever sweater. I'll be working on that on the plane. After that, I need to knit myself a hat. My old pink hat, sadly, was lost somewhere between the bus and the YMCA a few months back.

My second goal is to start reading more. I received a Barnes and Noble gift card as a going-away present from my thoughtful co-workers. (Well, they asked me what I wanted.) I spent a very enjoyable hour and a half at the bookstore tonight, looking through hundreds of different titles. In the end I bought four books, carefully selected to cover a variety of styles and topics.

Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki
I really like reading about finance. I like thinking about finance. I enjoy amending my W-4 withholdings to match my estimated tax amount for the following year. I like receiving my W-2. I like rebalancing my 401(k). I'm excited to roll over my retirement account to one or more Vanguard index funds. This one I've been meaning to read for a while. I'd like to know what Kiyosaki thinks rich people tell their kids.

Reading Like a Writer: A Guide for People Who Love Books and for Those Who Want to Write Them by Francine Prose
I scanned the essays section at the bookstore to find a book about writing. I chose this one because I thought the title neatly summed up the reason I wanted to buy a book about writing. Also it had a splashy seal declaring it a "Notable Book of the Year" by the New York Times Book Review.

Unlikely Destinations: The Lonely Planet Story by Tony and Maureen Wheeler
I wanted to buy a travelogue. This caught my eye because the Wheelers also picked up and traveled abroad for a year. Their journey ultimately led them to create "the world's largest independent travel publishing company." I can only assume that reading this book will inspire me to become fabulously successful. Coincidentally, I had already purchased the Lonely Planet New Zealand guide.

Rock, Paper, Scissors: Game Theory in Everyday Life by Len Fisher
I read A Beautiful Mind several years ago after the movie came out. I was interested in Nash's game theory, but I never followed up and learned about it. I like math.

That ought to keep me busy for a while. I weighed them. Together they're only 4 lb 9 oz, which is light enough to not be a burden in my suitcase.

Shoot, I really, really like my digital scale. I wonder how much it weighs, and if I could bring it with me. The one thing a scale cannot weigh is itself. How ironic.

1 comment:

Steve said...

I'm reading your blog, Katy! Cool set of books you're reading. I look forward to you sharing your insights.