Thursday, July 2, 2009

Miscellany

These are some random things I've thought about blogging.

When Josie and I were in this little town called Picton, we stopped by a grocery store. The cashier that checked us out was probably 15 or 16. He casually asked where we were from (our accents give us away as non-Kiwis, of course). We said we were from the U.S. And he asked, "Kentucky--is that a real place?" And we laughed and said that yes, it's a real place. They've got... a lot of horses there. It's where they hold the Kentucky Derby. "Oh! That's real, too?"

For a while after I came to New Zealand I was having really weird dreams. Stress maybe. Or maybe it's from sleeping on horrible hostel mattresses night after night. I miss my nice bed at home a LOT. Anyway, I had a dream that there was a Target store in the next town we were visiting. And we went there to shop. It was wonderful. It was the happiest dream I've had in a long time. But I woke up greatly disappointed. I know that there are no Targets in New Zealand.

New Zealand roads are incredibly winding and twisty in many places. I'm not one to experience motion sickness, but after a while, my stomach couldn't handle it. I saw a Mythbusters episode where they tested the efficacy of different types of motion sickness cures. And ginger was actually the best cure, and had no negative side effects. Now Josie and I keep crystalized ginger in the glove box. It works.

1 comment:

Kateyed said...

I totally saw that Mythbusters! The cute asian guy had super bad motion sickness. That's funny that the young guy couldn't believe that Kentucky was real... I suppose when it's so far away and has a somewhat strange name (although we'd probably think that things in NZ had strange names!) I remember having a similar "woah! they're real" sensation when I saw my first famous person in LA. And then I saw the actress that played Simone in S1mone, the movie about the unreal, computer-generated actress...