Wednesday, July 15, 2009

(I think I'm) Learning Japanese

From 2009-07-06 Dunedin

I dropped Josie off at the airport this afternoon. She's going back home, although hopefully she will be headed off to another winery in a few weeks to do a northern hemisphere grape harvest. After leaving the airport I carefully drove on the left to the hostel I'm staying at, and checked in. After which I immediately drove over to the Christchurch YMCA and paid for a one-month membership. I'll only use it for two weeks, but it's cheaper doing it that way than paying on a per-use basis.

It's wonderful to step into a gym after you've been away for a couple of months. The Christchurch YMCA has a very similar feel to the YMCAs in Minnesota. They've even got the brand and model of elliptical machines that I like. I listened to Green Day while cross-training on the stairmaster and inclined treadmill. I'm trying to get in a little training before I climb Mt. Fuji on August 1 (if all goes according to plan).

I studied the Japanese language for one year in 9th grade. I don't remember much of it. But I really want to pick it up again and try to learn conversational Japanese. I've got a couple of CDs, a phrase book, and a slick iPod Touch Japanese language app. The Touch app is pretty good. I'm liking it so far. The only problem is that before they teach you a word of Japanese, they make you learn the hiragana characters. So I've had the program for a week and I don't know any actual words yet. But I can read some written Japanese, without knowing what it means. We'll see what happens when I start learning words.

1 comment:

Kateyed said...

Kat's phonetic Japanese course:
neko=cat

(I can never rememeber which is which... but one of these is "how are you?" "I am good" "I'm not good" and the other is "Do you understand?" "I do understand" "I don't understand.")
o ginkides ka?:
Hi ginkides!:
ee eh ginkides sanm:
Wakadimaskuda?:
Hi wakadimas!:
ee eh wakadimaskuda sanm:

I learned those from you in Junior High. Along with "camuda" (camera)