Saturday, March 13, 2010

What are you doing Katy? "I'm racing a triathlon to fight cancer!"


Image: The "Urban Score-O," a scavenger hunt of citywide proportions. Here we are discovering a delicious green smoothie at Jamba Juice.

So guess what! I got a new adventure! This one is closer to home, but in some ways it's much bigger, and more difficult. I have joined a group called Team In Training to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma society, and they're going to send me to Hawaii to race the South Maui Triathlon. It's an Olympic distance, which means a 1 mile swim, 25 mile bike ride, followed by a 6 mile run.

The Team is really fantastic. We have several coaches, and all the participants have a mentor. We get together about three times per week. One day is swim, one bike, and one run. The first few weeks have really taken a toll on my body, and I'm trying to figure out how best to keep myself healthy and uninjured. It was pretty bad last week, but I'm hoping that a change in diet (eating more!) and continuing to get as much sleep as possible will let my body adjust to all this abuse.



Get Adobe Flash player


Here is a link to my fundraising website. You can donate securely online using a credit or debit card--it only takes about two minutes. Please consider donating to this great cause. The Leukemia and Lymphoma society works to fund research and care for patients with blood cancers. There have been enormous advances in care, but even so, someone is diagnosed with a blood cancer every four minutes, and there is no cure yet. The hope is that someday soon this type of cancer might be, if not cured, then controlled so that patients can lead a normal life.

Thank you for supporting me. Go Team!

No comments: