Wednesday, March 24, 2010

There is no "I" in Teamwork



Image: Me in Queenstown, NZ for the Winterfest 10k, July 2009

I'm on to week 7! Only 11 weeks and four days left to go! Ack!

I was asked this week what the deal is--why do charities have people walk, or run, or do triathlons as fundraisers? And I had to pause, because I wasn't exactly sure of the answer. There is the Relay for Life to benefit the American Cancer Society, the Susan G. Komen 3-Day Walk for the Cure, and Team in Training (my cause!) for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

But for me, the reason is this:

I don't have thousands of dollars to give to LLS. I truly wish I did. However, I do have time, and the physical ability to complete a triathlon. Perhaps you do not have the time or ability to train, but you want to support LLS. So it is an agreement-I will race the triathlon to raise awareness for the cause, and contributors give monetary support for the cause. The "Team" in training isn't just me and my fellow athletes, it is also ALL of the people who have donated, as well as all of those who follow our blogs, and our Facebook groups, and those who keep us in their thoughts and prayers, even if they are not able to contribute financially. Which is why, when I sign my letters and emails, I'm talking directly to YOU when I say...

Go Team!

Katy

No comments: