Friday, June 26, 2009

Addendum to Fox Glacier post

Okay, I think I made the glacier walk sound awful because I only highlighted the scary part. In fact, aside from that last hour, the glacier walk was incredible. And fun. The ice is beautiful. And it was awe-inspiring to think how small I am in comparison to the enormity of the glacier. The weather was perfect. Not too cold or windy. And although it rains about 180 days per year in the area, the skies were perfectly clear for us. I'm really glad that we did it.

For the Milford Sound kayaking trip, we may not get such good weather. Milford Sound gets about 7 meters of rain per year (that's 0.75" per day, if you averaged it over 365 days). However, if it does rain, apparently you get lots of beautiful waterfalls flowing down the fiords*. I'm glad that Josie bought that expensive waterproof case for her digital camera. We have only used it a few times, but it's totally worth it. You'll see those photos here!

*In New Zealand, they spell it "fiords."

No comments: